Vinyl Bar & Poker Club

A Place To Play Poker, Spin Records, & Have a Drink.

Monday, April 11, 2005

Dumb Laydown?

Okay, what's your opinion of this play? It's either my dumbest lay down of the evening or the best thing I did.

Blinds are 1000/2000 with 7 people remaining in a game that pays out 6 places. About 4 of the players are seriously short stacked with less than 10k in chips, I had about 30k and was the chip leader, although by less than 5k with two of the other players. Lots of the short stacked guys had been playing Ace rag hands or pairs of 2's etc to try to get some magic going.

Cards are dealt, I look down at AJs and I acted first. I had 29500 in chips. I bet 9000 figuring all the short stacks would have to go all-in to call me which I was willing to gamble with. Either that or maybe some of the bigger chip leaders would call and I was willing to see a flop for 9k. Everyone folds until it comes to the big blind, who is also the 2nd place guy in chips. He looks at his card, considers for about 1 second and goes all in. It scared me that he didn't even think about it. We counted up the chips and he had raised me by 18500 and I had 20500 left in chips. I'd have 2000 left with a 2000 big blind the very next hand, so basically I was all in. I thought about it and I was a serious underdog to AQ, AK, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and I was a slight underdog in a coin flip with any pocket pair 10 or less. I wasn’t willing to go out on the bubble by playing a coin flip so I folded the hand away and he took my 9k.

4 Calls:

@ 8:15 AM, April 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous called my bet...

Without knowing more about the players, I'd say it was a good lay down. AJ can be a very dangerous hand, especially calling someone else when it will put you all in. Because you were under the gun and there are a lot of hands stronger than AJ, I probably would have just bet enough to make one of the short stacks pot committed if they called (4 or 5K). That way you're not putting a full third of your chips out there, but you're also putting the short stacks to the decision.

You also could have limped hoping to get one of the short stacks to move in to steal the blinds and your bet, and then just hope you have a better hand. I like to trap short stacks this way, but it can be tricky because they might actually have a hand. Just depends on your read of the player and whether they are likely to move in to steal when they don't have a great hand.

 
@ 8:52 AM, April 11, 2005, Blogger Dr Hubert Jackson called my bet...

Well, I wanted to
#1, steal the 3k worth of blinds, and
#2 coin flip with one of the shortstack who has 44 or something.

Since most of them had 4-10k I bet 9k. I also had 4 1k chips in an odd numbered pile and I grabbed another pile of 5k for the 9k. It probably was too high, but I was hoping for a call here with only 1 other person or a fold.

 
@ 9:33 AM, April 11, 2005, Blogger Dr Hubert Jackson called my bet...

True, but at this stage of the game people did 1 of 2 things. Fold or all in. 9k was strong, but not THAT strong. If I limped in and someone went over the top I wouldn't know WHAT he had since he might be trying to buy or he might have a legit hand. Then I'd really be in a pickle. If I bet 9k and they go over the top I KNOW they have a strong hand.

 
@ 9:38 AM, April 11, 2005, Blogger Dr Hubert Jackson called my bet...

Regardless, I bought enough pots by playing aggressive that I didn't mind it when I got reraised once.

My main question is, do you fold AJs in that situation? If I wasn't on the bubble I'd have called.

He claimed after the game to have had QTos, but he could have been lying. Then again, on his final hand I bet double the big blind, and he went all in for around 1k more and I called him. He said "I'll probably at least have two over cards" and turned over 9Ts and I had QQ. So QT is possible for this hand. Either way I wasn't going to coin flip on the button for all my chips. Kudos to him for having the balls to reraise me after I came in on first position for 9k.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

"If You Can’t Spot The Sucker In Your First Half Hour At The Table, Then You're IT!"