Vinyl Bar & Poker Club

A Place To Play Poker, Spin Records, & Have a Drink.

Monday, April 11, 2005

Dumb Call?

Okay, on to the second hand I'll second guess myself on all night long. I can't remember, but I think it was several hands after the previous post. Blinds were 2k/4k

I have about 45k in chips and was definitely the dominant chip leader of the evening at that point. 7 people where left and it paid out 6. Player #1 had just had A3 suited pay off and doubled up. He started off the betting by going all in for 14k. #2 went all in for his last 4k, and #3 on small blind called the 14k and had maybe 3k left in chips. I was already on big blind for 4k, and was looking at 10k more to call, it'd never be more than 13k more no matter what the flop came up with.

I look at my cards and it was K5, normally an automatic fold. Yet some ideas crossed my mind that maybe were wrong but I don’t know yet. There was 36k in the pot already, including 4k of my own. For only 10k more, I had a chance of eliminating 3 players and ending up with 2/3rds of all the chips in the tournament. #1 went all in with A3s and A5s twice now in this tourney when short stacked. Heads up I'd fold but I figured I was getting my moneys worth and ponies up the extra 10k.

Flop came up crap cards, check check between me and the guy with 3k left. Turn came up 5, I go all in, he folds. We turn over cards between the two all in players and me. #1 had AA, #2 had 77, and I had K5 with a 5 on the turn. No K or 5 came up on the river and I lost and #1 tripled up. So I lost and I'd rather have had the 10k back. But did I make the right move in calling? I wasn't favored to win but I think I got pot odds in calling.

5 Calls:

@ 9:02 AM, April 11, 2005, Blogger Dr Hubert Jackson called my bet...

He had QJ of diamonds, 3 clubs on the board, all rags. I still had 30k+ after the call, and there was 46k in the pot. 46k pot and I had a decent chance of winning.

If he would have had AK instead of AA he'd have made the same all-in move and I'd have won 30k with my pair of 5's and the guy all in for 4k would have won 16k. But he had AA.. If I wasn't already on BB for 4k I wouldn't have called.

Also remember that 14k all in is only 3x the Big blind. And 4-1 on my money with no chance of anyone going over the top is pretty damn nice and doesn't happen every day.

 
@ 10:07 AM, April 11, 2005, Blogger Dr Hubert Jackson called my bet...

Regardless, anything with a face card is pretty good at 4-1 I think. But I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for a nice logical and mathematical calculation though, not "dude, K5 isn't that great you should have folded".

K5 wins 1 out of 4 times against random strong hands I'd guess. Not AA, but certainly other hands that people could go all in with at that point in the game.

 
@ 10:40 AM, April 11, 2005, Blogger Dr Hubert Jackson called my bet...

He wouldn't go all in with QQ? If he would I'm at a 30% chance of winning, or only 2-1 and I'm getting double my money for making the call at 4-1

 
@ 10:52 AM, April 11, 2005, Blogger Dr Hubert Jackson called my bet...

Because you're saying he had better cards then me. No shit. What you're not saying is that I didn't get pot odds.

 
@ 11:19 AM, April 11, 2005, Blogger Dr Hubert Jackson called my bet...

I don't know how he finished. I took 3rd and left the two people left where about even in chips.

Regardless, I cross posted this elsewhere and got the kind of response I was looking for, a nice math analysis:

------------
Well lets not get into there being an overpair to your k5, so no aces or kings. I say this because given the blinds and your knowledge of your opponents, they could have moved in with much worse. Given this you are about 20% if there is a mid pair and no one has a king in their hand. If someone has a king and there is a mid pair you are about 8%. If there is no pair and someone has a king your 11%. If no pair and no king your 25%. So best case scenario your 25%. So basically the simple answer would be no if your looking at the main pot of 16K. Side pot #1 has 20k in it with 3 players. And if you decide to call there will be a 2nd side pot with 3k in it. So you are at best 25% to win the main pot, side pot #1 you are between 20%-30% eseentially depending on a variety of hands. Given the wide variety of hands here, and the fact that k5 off is in bad shape, pot odds would say to fold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

"If You Can’t Spot The Sucker In Your First Half Hour At The Table, Then You're IT!"