Vinyl Bar & Poker Club

A Place To Play Poker, Spin Records, & Have a Drink.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Winnings

When is it time to build a bankroll? In the games since I started recording I've won several games. Before then I took 3rd once and lost a bunch of other games, I think I was even or maybe down 20-40? I can't remember, but I was just playing from the gut. The first game I recorded was before I studied the game at all, it was just after watching on TV a bazillion hours.

All the following are NL hold'em tourney games. I separated the more "professional" type ones from the home games. All the home game buyins were $20, losers game was $5, the tourneys were $30.

+60 - 1st in an 8 player home game.
+150 - 1st in a 13 player tournament.
-20 - 5th in an 8 player home game.
+10 - 4th in a 20 player home game.
+10 - 1st in a 3 player losers game (same evening).
-30 - 27th in a 43 player tournament.
-20 - 7th in a 18 player home game.
+125 - 3rd in a 32 player tournament.

Adding it up I'm +245 in tournaments (with $90 worth of buyins), and +40 in home games with $85 in buyins. The numbers may be skewed a bit due to a small sample size. But I think it shows what I believe anyway. In home games I'm a bit more relaxed, I'm not as aggressive because I just like to see cards and play with friends. I'm not out to eliminate them. I'm busy telling and listening to stories.

So now when do I stop using "spending" money for the buyins and when do I start to actually have a bankroll that I can draw from and add to? I can afford to lose the buyin typically, but not if I lose three or four times in a row, that's nearly $100 even if I'd still be up money long run. So it'd be nice to have a bankroll to smooth out the lumps. But then again by having a bankroll it seems like I'm taking the game more seriously and I've always enjoyed the recreational aspects of it more than winning money.

"If You Can’t Spot The Sucker In Your First Half Hour At The Table, Then You're IT!"