Vinyl Bar & Poker Club

A Place To Play Poker, Spin Records, & Have a Drink.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Call or Fold?

I am dealer, I look down and see KK on the 4th or 5th hand of the game (4000 starting chips). Limp, limp, limp goes the betters. Not wanting the A3 limpers to suck out on me I raised to 200 (4x the big blind). 1-3 people called me, I forget.

The flop comes up 9 7 5 rainbow, the first to act bets 100, everyone folded to me, I raised to 500 (pot sized or so), the raiser called.

Turn comes up another 5, I'm worried a little bit. He just checks, which could mean he's slowplaying trips so I didn't want to get trapped and I checked also.

River comes up a 3. The other guy leads off with a 1500 chip bet. Was he slowplaying his trip 5's and now trying to capitalize? Or was he trying to push me off the pot hoping I'd be afraid he had 5's?

I called him and before I reveal what he had I wanted some people to guess if my call was a good call and what he might have had, I don't want to pollute the thinking. I think I covered all the possible hands in my head. To make it clear it was the 4th or 5th hand of the game and the player was an unknown. So was I, it was the 1st pot we both played.

6 Calls:

@ 12:01 AM, April 29, 2005, Blogger Unknown called my bet...

I wouldn't have checked after he checked. He might have been on say a 9 with a kicker. When you reraised him that most likely scared him. Which is why he probably checked. Especially after seeing the second 5. Now his thoughts as an idiot would be that you hit trips. You play thus far showed that you probably don't have anything close to a 5. If he's smart, he probably thinks that you have a higher pocker pair. Either way, he checked to get more info. When you checked he took it as weakness and figured that his two pair were good. I wouldn't be concerned about any straight. If this idiot called your raise with 86 suited then he's just a jack off and deserves to die.

But who knows. If your KK has been losing to AA, like mine has been, then if what I said previously isn't true. The dude has AA and you lost.

Nothing you could have done about it. And you played it right. Correction, nearly played it right. I would not have checked after he checked. You needed to see how he'd react. Giving him a free card does nothing for the cause.

 
@ 12:27 AM, April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous called my bet...

I'm going to give him credit for having a hand. I say he had pocket 9s or pocket 7s--or even pocket 5s--giving him a set (or quads) on the flop. Because you raised him both preflop and when he bet on the flop, he probably thought you would bet into him. So when he turned a full house, he slowed down (a) because you'd been agressive, (b) because he knew he probably wouldn't be beat and wanted you to make a hand on the river, and (c) wanted to look like he didn't have the 5. Then he overbets the pot on the river, hoping (a) that you now think he doesn't have a 5 and is buying the pot,and (b) that you do indeed have a big pair, as he suspected.

I admit I'm giving him a lot of credit here, but this at least would be a rational betting strategy.

 
@ 8:45 AM, May 02, 2005, Blogger Dr Hubert Jackson called my bet...

He had T9s, thanks for the thoughts. I didn't put him on a pocket pair because:

1. He just limped in before the flop.

2. He only raised 2x the big blind after the flop. I took that as more of a feeler bet rather than him hitting trips.

I'm just glad he didn't go all in, I'd have folded for sure.

 
@ 9:37 AM, November 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous called my bet...

What up Blogger! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on clay poker chips and table for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though this post isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at clay poker chips and table . I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at clay poker chips and table . You never know you might see something you like! Again great job.

 
@ 2:46 PM, November 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous called my bet...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. Blogger I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to . I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

 
@ 11:44 PM, November 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous called my bet...

All I can say is WOW Blogger. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on clay poker chips and table . I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though this post really isn’t on the same page as clay poker chips and table I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at clay poker chips and table . I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

"If You Can’t Spot The Sucker In Your First Half Hour At The Table, Then You're IT!"