Vinyl Bar & Poker Club

A Place To Play Poker, Spin Records, & Have a Drink.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Tournaments

So my Brother and I were talking and he said it was hard to run the tourney because he spent a few hours getting tables, chairs, cleaning the garage, and picking up beer bottles on the lawn. He didn't want to charge a rake though or anything because that seems kind of bad. I suggested that he just say that if there are more than X people that he gets to buy-in for free. I think this would be fair (and I know I don't have to worry about Tim winning my money!), anyone else have an opinion on this?

2 Calls:

@ 5:41 PM, May 03, 2005, Blogger Unknown called my bet...

There's nothing wrong taking a rake. It's your house, your time spent to organize it all, etc.

It doesn't have to be anything crazy, but some type of monetary value would most likely be fine with everyone. Like a buck a joe or something.

 
@ 3:35 PM, June 25, 2005, Blogger Jordan called my bet...

Hey. I just found your site for the 1st time. I just wanted to say for the record that when I throw a home game, I don't charge a rake and I don't get a free buy in. It might be a personal opinion, but the way I see it, you choose to have it at your house. If you are playing with friends, its kinda low to charge them. If its strangers, then I guess its different. Afterwards, I always have a bitch of a cleanup, and the setup is a pain in the ass, but (a) I don't have to travel to the game, (b) I don't have to travel home so I can drink freely, (c) when the game gets late I don't have to worry about a late drive home, and (d) its my house so I'm the most comfortable.

All this said, I think having a free buyin is better than a traditional rake.

On a side note, I like your site. Good writing. Its a shame I'm in NYC, otherwise I'd be clamoring to join your home game. 4 tables! Sweet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

"If You Can’t Spot The Sucker In Your First Half Hour At The Table, Then You're IT!"